Monday, December 1, 2008

This years gingerbread creation

Lydia is working on the wood pile that is by the back door.

Ariella is making the decorated Christmas tree.
Over the river and through the woods to grandmothers house we go.
We wanted to do something with a horse for Lydia. I also wanted to have the candy glass windows so that the house could be lighted from the inside. And of course, it also had to have a Christmas theme. The song over the river and through the woods.... came to mind and then we had our theme.
I like to take on new challenges every year. This year it was the balcony on the house. I haven't really liked the way our trees have turned out it the past and so we tried something new this year. I really like the final effect. We also did the candy glass windows different than I have in the past and I like this way much better. It is a much smoother edge. The bridge and the sleigh are also new for us. The horse is made out of a Cinnamon ornament dough. It smells so good. That is Lydia's creation.
The roofline ended up being one of the big challenges. I was trying to figure out how to make the roof with the raised front piece and so I was looking at roofs while we were driving around and decided I would try what I was seeing. It took some math skills to get the pieces so they would all line up correctly. I wasn't sure until I put the final pieces together if it would work or not. It took some holding until pieces dried and hoping that it wasn't too distorted to fit on the house. It fit great and the challenge was worth it.
Overall I am very pleased with the final creation.

3 comments:

Alyssa McVey said...

Wow! That is beautiful!

Naomi said...

Holy Moly! That is too cute! You and your family are super talented! Great job!

Kalola said...

That is so incredibly cool!