Saturday, January 7, 2012

College

Since I have returned to college (BYU-I) and part of the experience to really help make the learning stick is to teach it to others, I have decided that I will start using this blog to post some of my summaries and reflections. I welcome your comments and questions!

Here is a copy of my Free Write from Week 1:

Summary of principles:
The objective of the lesson this week is to become familiar with the course structure and environment and to reflect on the purposes and value of a college education.

Peer to peer instruction helps us learn by also teaching. That teaching allows action and helps us accept responsibility for our own education. By taking that action we are inviting the Holy Ghost into the process and that helps accelerate the learning and helps us reach beyond our own capabilities. Participation also helps us recognize the spiritual guidance we are being given. Our willingness to act or exercise our agency gives the Holy Ghost the opportunity to influence both our lives and the lives of those we with whom we interact. Preparation with those goals in mind is a big part of the process.

From the Major Decisions readings: We learn that although college doesn't always insure job readiness and good grades do not guarantee real learning or preparation for life, it can open our eyes and our heart to the world and the possibilities. Higher education is essential to a successful, secure career. It can help us with our people skills and analytical skills. It gives us an opportunity to be influenced by others and learn by both their insights and mistakes. We need to take responsibility for our own learning. We need to consider the costs, not just financial, but also the opportunity costs and the time value of money. The more we can develop our vision and our ability to make high-stakes judgments the greater our value becomes. Hard working students who are a little older and more mature can perform well in college. College gives us an opportunity to have a more secure and intellectually rewarding career.

What I learned:
When I attended Ricks college in the past, I loved the spirit that I felt there. I didn't think I would ever experience anything like that again. I realized as I was listening to the videos and clips and interacting with my fellow classmates that spirit was present. The Spirit of Ricks or now BYU-I is here even in this online learning opportunity. I love it!
Another thing that really stood out to me is the importance in the learning process of teaching others. I am looking for opportunities when I am teaching to also encourage those in the class to teach others the things they are learning.
It has taken me a long time to learn how to really recognize the guidance of the Holy Ghost in my everyday life and I still fall short of it all the time. I look for opportunities to teach others the process so they can recognize the Spirit in their own lives. This gave me some good clues in that direction. In addition to prayer and preparation, taking that action to step up and participate and teach each other authorizes the Holy Ghost to influence us. I know in the past as I have been teaching or just participating in a discussion, when someone asks a question and I ponder and respond, it is many times in my own speaking up and responding that things become clearer. It is in attempting to put it into words so someone else can understand.
I think rather than worrying about what I can't do or am scared to do, it is more important for me to just step up and do what I can and trust that the Spirit will guide the process.

The key process: Prepare > Teach > Reflect> Put into action (not necessarily in that order)

I have learned many things over the years on my own but it is not nearly as powerful as the learning that takes place with the interaction with others thoughts and ideas. I love the intellectual stimulation that this college opportunity provides!

1 comment:

Druceal said...

ohhh I like this thanks for sharing, Love the picture of Home that you have on the top of the blog also.